Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fishing

Well guys so its day four now of this journey. Today I play waterball at 10 and last night I lifted a little (very little) but hopefully it will keep going. Thanks everyone who is reading Yaya and check out my roomie Brooks at http://valhallaatyoulater.blogspot.com/ he is the one who got me started on the madness.

One time, back when I was around 5 or 6 I went out fishing with my Pawpaw (aka my Paternal Grandfather) we went out on a boat and were catching catfish. This was an incredible experience for me...It was the Trifecta...I was on a boat for the first time in my life, I was hanging with my Dad and Pawpaw a real guys day out grr, and we where actually catching fish. I'm talking like huge fish too, now my perception may be a bit skewed because of my tiny size but I swear those fish were almost as long as I was tall. Now even in a five year old body I knew they were huge. Now I being my five year old self proclaimed myself the official namer of the fish, the largest of which I christened Lips, because he had the biggest lips that I had ever seen. Now my Bammaw (paternal grandma) was an outstanding cook and I remember eating very well that night on Lips.
I am an International Relations major at Abilene Christian, so a lot of what I think about daily is in the realm of Political Science. So lots of times I get to hear about foreign aid, development in countries with stable institutions, the World Bank and the IMF. Also since I'm a Christian school I hear a lot about missionary work and people going out and doing medical work with different people all around the world. Now I believe that many of these attempts at trying to help less developed countries are incredible things, however I think that a lot of it comes down to the old saying.
You can give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, or you can teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. My argument, however is that if the law says "no fishing" then he will still go hungry no matter how good of a fisherman he is. We put restrictions on people making it almost impossible to succeed or we open them directly up to a market that they are not ready to compete in, or they are working under a government of corruption. So the challenge is trying to make a place where people can "fish"
I dunno
just some thoughts
let me know whatcha think
Yall be careful y ojala que estes con una sonrisa!

2 comments:

  1. I agree I think that is the very purpose of government, to give people the fair grounds to have the equal opputunity to "fish" for themselves and eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is an entire school of thought that believe that we need to "Cut Africa Loose"
    ast year, Dambisa Moyo was an unknown banker in the London office of Goldman Sachs. Then she wrote a book, Dead Aid, that blames foreign economic assistance for Africa's poverty and corruption (with passing shots at Bono and celebrity activism) and calls for an overhaul. As she began a tour of what seemed like hundreds of talk show appearances, defenders of aid started fighting back. Economist Jeffrey Sachs called her views "cruel" and noted acidly that aid (i.e., scholarships) sent Moyo from Zambia to Harvard. Others, Moyo says, accused her of "killing African babies."

    You should check out the article that they put in Wired about it

    ReplyDelete