Sunday, November 29, 2009

Sulfur

Buenas!!! I hope this finds everyone well. Well guys I am officially at post #21...thats three weeks of posting something...to be honest I thought that this might last three days before I ran out of stuff to talk about...but here we are. Thanks everyone who reads this, whether you found by accident, by word of mouth, or by just stalking me... I appreciate it and I will keep writing if yall will keep reading.
A few years back there was a commercial for some cologne, body spray, or some other scented product that proclaimed that scent is the strongest sense tied to memory. A few days ago I was talking to my friend Lauren about smells that reminded us of different things and places... and I have to say that I think the commercial was right. I remember in a movie from my childhood (I think it was the original parent trap...don't judge me) that one of the characters said that she knew her grandfather by his scent of pipe tobacco and peppermints. I don't smoke, but ever since then have wanted to smell like peppermints. When I smell Tide I think of my Mom and when I smell the tinny smell of blood I think of my Grandpa, he's an avid hunter and member of the NRA. Jasmine and car emissions remind me of Montevideo, and other smells remind me of other people and places. I think that it has to do with perception too, because there are many times when there can be a bad smell that I know is a bad smell, but I like it because I associate it with something good. Sulfur smells horrible when you get it on you, and its really hard to get rid of, but I don't mind it as much. When I was a kid my Dad was working shift work in the oil field, and I didn't get to see him as much as I wanted to, but when he came home he smelled like sulfur. So for me when I smell sulfur I still think of Dad coming home, and sulfur is a good smell for me.
Bueno thats about all I got for today,
yall be careful and ojala que estes con una sonrisa

No comments:

Post a Comment